"The Athletic", baseball, Baseball in 2020, FiveThirtyEight, Jason Stark, MillersTime Baseball Contests, MLB, MLB Baseball, MlB Contests, Neil Paine
Some baseball will return.
On or about July 23rd or 24th, a 60 game ‘season’ will begin.
How far it will go, what it will be like (compared to an 162 games season), whether it will shortened by the virus, or is it possible there will be fans in the stadiums before the season ends?
No one knows the answers to those and a number of other questions about MLB in 2020.
But we do know some things:
Look at the two articles below, the first outlines the main the guidelines and ‘rules’ under which the teams will compete. The second is an attempt to calculate if a 60 game season will need asterisks in the baseball history books. (Ed. Comment: Of course it will, but for those of you who like to get into the ‘weeds’ of baseball, it’s an interesting look at how 60 games can be compared to 162 games.)
What We Know So Far About the 2020 MLB Season by Jason Stark, The Athletic, June 23, 2020.
60 Games Aren’t Enough to Crown the Best MLB Team. But Neither Are 162 Games by Neil Paine, FiveThirtyEight, June 24, 2020.
Whether or not you read either of these articles, I need your suggestions for a three question MillersTime Baseball Contest for 2020.
And I need them quickly.
By Sunday, July 5.
That way I can get the Contests out to everyone in time for you to submit your award winning answers prior to the first game.
So, see what you can come up with in regard to this “season like no other.”
Send them to me at Samesty84@gmail.com., and if one of your questions is chosen, you will be ‘entitled’ to a MillersTime Baseball Contest Winner T-Shirt.* (You can also make suggestions for the prizes for this year’s Contests.)
Deadline for Potential Questions: Sunday, July 5
Contests Will Be Announced by Friday, July 10
Submission for Your ‘Winning’ Answers Due by July 23rd.
Samuel clover jr. said:
Good morning Rick, glad to see your press is rolling again, 60 or 162 its baseball my brother…if by chance you decide to give tickets to the needed put me on the list…thanks mr. Sam peace
Ed Scholl said:
Here are my suggestions for baseball contest questions:
1. What will be the highest batting average in the major leagues will be this year? ( The closest guess is the winner).
2. What will be the most number of wins a picture earns this year?
3. Pick the team that will have the best come-back season, comparing last year’s winning percentage (in the regular season) to this year’s winning percentage.
Rob Higdon said:
Over/under 4.5 20 HR hitters
Will someone with at least 100AB hit above .360
Will there be a No-Hitter or Triple Play?
Zach Haile said:
1) Which player on a NL roster will make the most appearances as a DH?
2) Last year, Bellinger hit .376 through 60-games en route to MVP…will somebody top that average this year? Will someone hit .400?
3) Will any pitcher reach double-digit wins this season? If so, who? (My commentary: I figure there will be a chance based on number of potential starts but with little time to build up innings before the regular season will starters go long enough to qualify for a win in their first few starts? Best bet: An Astros pitcher – Dusty doesn’t care about arms right??)
4) The team HBP record is 103…how close will the Astros come in a shortened season or will they be spared?
5) What will be the lowest win total for a playoff team and which team will it be? Along the same lines: With divisions matching up in the two leagues, which division will ultimately accumulate the most total wins? East, Central or West? (Remember: East and West have the Dodgers and Yankees but also have teams like the O’s and Marlins!)
Other random questions…
1) Will Billy Hamilton earn a roster spot solely to be used as the runner to start on 2B in extra innings?
2) Will we see any team celebrations? Walk-off jersey tears, Dog piles, champagne showers, etc?
3) Will somebody get a hit from the 4th game of the season until the last game of the season to beat DiMaggios hit streak?
Larry Longenecker said:
Will the New York Industrial Development Authority default on Yankee Stadium bonds?
Will Joe Maddon finally get the Angels to the playoffs?
Is the Albert Pujoils last year?